[Rhodes22-list] Proud New Rhodes 22 Owners

Sheldon Green sheldongreen at comcast.net
Mon May 3 23:53:53 EDT 2004

Hello to the Rhodes 22 Board....

We are novice sailors and would like to introduce ourselves to the board as
Elton has just delivered our refurbished Rhodes 22.  Accolades to Stan for a
really great design in a Sailboat!

We will be sailing out of Mariner's Marina in Barnegat, NJ.  The Marina has
more 90% Sailboats.

We spent our first weekend on the boat, however we were unable to take her
for our maiden voyage as the winds were in excess of 20 knots.  This of
course gave us time to rig the boat and explore it various "nooks and
crannies". Jay Friedland, of L.B.I., was gracious enough to help Elton and
us to launch and rig the boat.

While rigging the boat, Jay showed us how to secure the turnbuckles from
loosening after applying the appropriate tension to the Shrouds /Stays.
While talking to one of the other sailors in the Marina about the different
ways to secure the turnbuckles, they suggested that we use "locking nuts"
(Check Nut Locking) vs. "ring pins" or "cotter pins".  They explained that
the "locking nuts" were easier to manage in the long run.  So.... I was
wondering if anyone has used this approach, and if so, what size nuts are
needed for job (#10,1/4", 5/16", or 3/8")?