[Rhodes22-list] Pointing

Bob Keller r22yankeeclipper at hotmail.com
Wed May 5 10:30:07 EDT 2004

Just read some discussion about pointing at 45 degrees.  We just returned
from another trip to Florida (Charlotte Harbor area) and we had winds in the
15-20 knot range most of the week.  While pointing to windward on our last
day, we had 16-18 knots, the sheets were inside the shrouds, the sheets were
run through my new inside genoa track and the best we could point was 50-55
degrees to the apparent wind. Steering was by autopilot while I tweaked the
sails and kept pointing us as high as possible. The wind instrument (ST-40)
told me all this, so it was not an estimate or a WAG.  Anyway, I noticed
that a number of larger, deeper draft boats were pointing much better, which
is logical since the R-22 is a small, beamy trailerable boat and close
hauled is not the best point of sail.  My rigging is not really "tuned" but
I did have the backstay tight.  Just wanted to share this with the list
because 45 degrees would be excellent, especially with a 175 genoa...  We
had the mainsail half furled (IMF) and the genoa only out about halfway and
the boom in the lower position.  Even when the wind was gusting to 20-21
knots, the ride was very comfortable, and the heeling was minimal: 15
degrees or less, which made my wife very happy.  She enjoyed it immensely.
Our boat speed was about 3.5 - 4 knots.
Bob K
Yankee Clipper
The boat will be back at Lake Hartwell in two weeks, as soon as the damage
from trailering has been repaired (don't ask)!