[Rhodes22-list] Short Cycle Fatigue Failure In StainlessSteel Tang

FredkLange at aol.com FredkLange at aol.com
Thu May 6 21:22:41 EDT 2004

In a message dated 5/6/2004 6:14:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cen09402 at centurytel.net writes:
Roger,

More likely, he's yanking your tang.

Fred
Lou,

I can't tell if you're yanking my chain or not.  So, I'm going to assume you
really don't know what a tang is & just answer your question straight up.
Look on the end of your boom.  There should be a piece of polished stainless
steel bar stock bolted to the end of the boom, about 1/8 inch thick X 1 inch
wide X 5 inch long.  The shackle on the upper block of the mainsheet is
attached thru a 5/8 inch ID hole in the end of that piece of bar stock.
That piece of stainless steel bar stock is called the tang and it is a
critical loaded element in the mainsheet system.  If the tang were to fail
under load, the swing of the boom would be completely uncontrolled.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium