[Rhodes22-list] Short Cycle Fatigue Failure In StainlessSteel Tang

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Thu May 6 22:27:26 EDT 2004

Slim and Roger,

Alternatively, you could use a piece of light weight high-strength modern
sailing line -- to add a little separation so the boom end block doesn't
chafe on the boom end.  3/16" Vectran would be good for 4,750 pounds load
http://layline.com/llf/llpages/htmlp2origa/page2.htm     Think that would do
it?
Harken now recommends attaching some of its blocks with line for strength,
flexibility and weight savings.

PT

> Slim,
>
> How about replacing the bolt & tang with a threaded SS eyebolt into the
end
> of the boom & a shackle to the mainsheet?
>
> Roger Pihlaja
> S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

It
> [...]
> back
> > > straight, you further increased the amount of damage.  The only
solution
> > > would be to heat the metal above the so-called "recrystallization
> > > temperature", for about an hour.  Assuming the bend was not too
severe,
> the
> > > recrystallization temperature for a 300 series stainless steel alloy
is
> > > about 450 deg C.  This time/temperature treatment will permit the
> metal's
> > > crystal structure to "heal" itself.  If you either don't want to do
that
> or
> > > don't have access to a furnace; then, you might consider replacing the
> tang.
> > > The damage to the crystal structure also causes the metal to become
> > > embrittled.  Brittle failure is a cumulative damage sort of phenomena.
> > > Brittle microcracks may have been initiated by bending the tang and
then
> > > bending it back.  Now, normal sailing loads will cause the microcracks
> > > coalesce into macrocracks and cause the cracks to grow until the tang
> can no
> > > longer handle the load.  The presence of salt crystals in the air or
the
> > > water that splashes on the tang will accelerate this phenomena.  The
> final
> > > failure will occur in a spectacular brittle manner when the tang is
> heavily
> > > loaded.  i.e. The tang will fail with loud "kerpow" just at the moment
> when
> > > you needed it most!
> > >
> > > The whole phenomena I've described above is called "short cycle
fatigue
> > > failure" (SCFF) & we studied it as well as how to design pieces/parts
> > > prevent it in my ME451, Machine Design class, last semester.  SCFF is
> > > usually an insidious hidden problem.  The tang will probably look just
> fine
> > > right up to the moment it fails catastrophically under load.  SCFF is
> also
> > > best described in terms of statistics, rather than in absolute terms.
> In
> > > other words, how "perfect" was the tang's crystal structure to begin
> with,
> > > did the bend just happen to load up some of these built-in crystal
> structure
> > > defects & initiate microcracks, and now how often will normal sailing
> place
> > > loads on the tang that will cause these microcracks to grow?  All
three
> of
> > > these questions can best be answered in terms of statistical
> probabilities &
> > > the final SCFF will be some complex function of all three factors.
The