[Rhodes22-list] traveler and tiller tamer upgrade questions

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Mon May 10 13:54:37 EDT 2004

Bruce,

I only half agree with Rummy and Roger.  My boat came with the Davis unit
and I use it a lot.  It takes more time (3 or 4 seconds) to deploy than I
would like--not really a problem unless something requires your immediate
attention, and also  makes it harder to access the lazerette unless you
first untie it from the cleats.  But it does get the job done.  I also have
the tiller extension clips mounted on the forward member of the stern rails,
both port and starboard, but unless I already have the extension in hand,
that option takes even more time and the clip is not very secure, especially
if you have any lee or weather helm.  The lock boxes would be more secure.

But when heaving to, I secure the tiller all the way to leeward.  The Davis
unit works great for this--the tiller lock boxes will not.  I also use it to
secure the tiller centered when I put the boat "to bed" and it always stays
put.

Slim