[Rhodes22-list] Marlinspike seamanship

Doug Mistler mistler at mindspring.com
Sun May 16 20:47:00 EDT 2004

Yesterday I had the unusual experience of walking into a West Marine store
and asking for a fid, only to find that the clerk did not know what a fid
was.  When I said that it was for splicing line, he expressed both ignorance
and surprise that anyone would want to do that as they sell dock lines with
eye splices.  Results - no fid, need to order it from a catalog.

As I mentioned in earlier postings, I have been off the water for a number
of years, but have things changed that much?  Is that particular store the
exception or is it now the rule?  Does anyone spice line anymore?

Fair winds!
--Doug