[Rhodes22-list] Surgery

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Fri May 21 12:27:08 EDT 2004

Hi all,

Due to an old athletic injury to my right elbow, I've suffered some nerve
damage to my ulnar nerve.  That's what we call the "funny bone."  This
chronic and progressive problem has recently taken its toll and I have lost
most of the strength in my little finger.  This really wouldn't be much of a
problem unless of course, one happens to play the piano for a living.

So on Tuesday, I underwent ulnar nerve transposition surgery.  That's where
they reroute the nerve to the inside of the elbow and tuck it under the
muscle, where it will hopefully lead a more comfortable life.

The surgery went well and I thought I received very good care/treatment at
the hospital.  The procedure requires a general anesthesia but is
out-patient, so after they woke me up, they sent me home.  My fingers are
warm, have no numbness and I can wiggle all 5.  That's a good start.  My arm
is in a cast and sling.

I spent most of the first two days sleeping.  Yesterday I went for a walk--2
whole blocks.  Today I'm feeling quite a bit better and the pain has
subsided considerably.  One-handed typing isn't so bad, but you should see
my left-handed handwriting.

The recovery will be pretty lengthy and I won't be able to go back to work
for approx 3 months.  And naturally, this gives new meaning to the term,
single-handed sailing!  I could probably sit at the helm and steer, but
that's about all.  We were planning a 3 week trip to Brazil in June-July.
The trip is now extended to 5 weeks since I can't go right back to work.
That's the good news.  I can just as easily recover on a warm, tropical
beach as anywhere else.  8-)

I'll keep you posted on my progress.  Wish me luck!

Slim