[Rhodes22-list] Boat toys.

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun May 23 17:43:16 EDT 2004

Rummy,

As you know, I'm with you on cockpit crap for all the same reasons.  I, too, got a free GPS several years ago, and find it indispensable--primarily for letting me know how long it will really take to get back.

However, the GPS does not speak in hull speed terms.  It does not measure speed through the water, just speed over land.

Going down the East "River" in NYC I've done 10 kts (over land--on my GPS) without ever reaching "hull speed".

Bill Effros