[Rhodes22-list] Ground Tackle

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at verizon.net
Mon May 24 09:30:21 EDT 2004

Doug,
One of the keys to getting a Danforth to set correctly is making sure that
it lands properly on the bottom. I have heard tales (no personal
experience) of Fortresses sailing over the bottom while they are being set
- something about the area of the flukes to weight ratio.

We keep our Danforth in a mesh bag in the lazarrette rather than on the
bow. The rode is carefully flaked in followed by the chain and then the
anchor so all is ready to go on a moments notice. We use the v-berth for
storage and store the second anchor forward in its own bag. We decided
shortly after we got the boat that we didn't like the idea of storing the
rode in the tray in the v-berth. Didn't like the idea of introducing all
that excess moisture (and muddy smell) to the interior. When we hauled
anchor last weekend after the storm, not only was the anchor loaded with
mud but the chain was extremely muddy for about half its length. We were
able to get most of the mud off the anchor by dunking but the bag kept the
muddy chain contained until we could get back to the dock and a hose. We've
been considering some sort of washdown set-up.

As we've been mulling over our second anchor situation, we've considered a
Bruce - lots of holding power for the size and it looks like we could stow
one in the mesh bag but they aren't as good in mud as the Danforth so no
decision yet. I'd like to hear from other Chesapeake Rhodies about their
anchoring experiences. Uh...Don? Are we getting together this weekend?

Mary Lou
1991 Rhodes 22 Fretless
Swan Creek, MD / Ft. Washington, PA