[Rhodes22-list]Was Boat toys. - Boating Follies

anima13 anima13 at bellsouth.net
Wed May 26 08:06:28 EDT 2004

Hi,
As Bob Weber noted and other Rhodies who have visited Kentucky Lake
at lighthouse Landing know, my slip is just off the marina ramp. Because
I have the biggest cockpit, (every single woman's dream) everyone seems to
gather at my boat for the race rundowns (and more beer of course).
We are on TVA land so the ramp is public. You can just imagine the movies
we get to watch. Take the 35 foot RV with the 30ft cruiser on trailer, with
tiny wife at the wheel and big bubba in his boat. He is yelling away at
tiny wife backing the thing down the ramp....it goes on and on.
I have observed over these years that if the guy has the gal drive the
boat, she usually gets it on the trailer better than he can almost
every time. Then there are the fellows who fish for a living here.
(Honestly,
that is their FT occupation.) They can back a boat and whip that thing to
the rocks, park the truck and trailer and get back in all by themselves in
record time, day or dark. I enjoy that the most. They never even come near
my stern. If I am working on my boat, I just continue on. For others, I stop
and stare to let them know they had better watch it!!
Last year at the S2 regatta a real 'nerd head' (we dubbed him that after the
first day) took his rudder off before trying to get the boat back onto the
trailer. Yes there was wind too! We regulars had to get in the water to
shove the boat around onto the trailer. Was a PINA.
There will be more this year!
Anne
PS Sure was a great weekend for wind...had some raucous sails!

Anne,  This is your topic - What do you got to add?  BW