[Rhodes22-list] Boat Folleis

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Wed May 26 15:51:57 EDT 2004

Bob,
One of the dumbest boat tricks I can remember happened when we were still
living on Lake Wissota in Wisconsin. It happened after dark, but I don't think
it would have mattered. Lake Wissota is formed on the Chippewa River by a
hyro-electric dam, as are many lakes in Wisconsin. In front of the dam on the
lake side are three different barriers starting with a rope and buoy barrier.
The second barrier is also rope, but has twice as many buoy's. The third and
final barrier is a steel cable approximately three feet above the water to give
 someone a final grasping place before going over the dam.....in theory.
As I said, it was dark and the boat driver was alone (thank God) and very,
very drunk. He had left the local watering hole on one end of the lake and was
headed home. Apparently he became disoriented and went over the dam going
full  speed which was estimated at between fifty and sixty miles an hour. The
drop to  the bottom is several hundred feet. The boat and his body went over the
dam, but  his head was found in a different location. You guessed it, the
cable  took his head off before he got to the dam. Hard to believe this could
happen  because the dam is lit up like a parking lot at night. Must have thought
he was  going to Walmart.
Rummy