[Rhodes22-list] Urgent Assistance Needed

Gardner, Douglas (LNG-DAY) douglas.gardner at lexisnexis.com
Thu May 27 16:36:37 EDT 2004

A side note,

   I'd emphasize CAREFULLY.  I've had the cap off once with no issues.  I
used a spatula to work underneath the cap and it came free without any
damage at all. But the last time I tried it (to paint the CB)it just
wouldn't budge.  I pried and I pried (and tried and tried).  When I started
hearing cracking I decided I'd wait until I had more time, different
weather, etc.  I didn't want to crack the cap and risk seepage or something.
I was hoping to do that this year as part of the spring ToDo list, but I
think it just isn't in the cards if I want to sail this year.

I have no idea why it was sticking so fervently.  I didn't use any adhesive
or sealant.  I did clean it (with water) before putting it on the last time.
Maybe I should have cleaned it with talcum powder so that it wouldn't get
too sticky?  I don't know.

Anyway, try to gently pry it up with a spatula or something similar.  This
should be pretty routine, but you may not want to force the issue.  Of
course, if its really important, everything about the ceterboard cap is
fixable.

One important sanity check:  You do have the boat OUT OF THE WATER, right???

The centerboard cap is below waterline.

Good luck,

--Doug