[Rhodes22-list] Memorial Day Plans

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Fri May 28 17:51:22 EDT 2004

Steve,

We use two different types of dry bags.  In the bow & the stern, we have
WATERSHED (tm) dry bags. (www.drybags.com)  These bags have a tapered
V-shape to fit in the ends of a kayak.  At the large end of the bag, they
have a HD "zipper" closure, which is sort of like an industrial strength
version of a ZIPLOC bag closure.  This HD zipper enables one to open up the
bag, stuff it full of light weight, compressible gear like clothing or a
sleeping bag, & close up the zipper to seal the bag.  Then, to further seal
the zippered end, it is designed with a Dry Seal roll down closure like most
dry bags have.  After sealing the big end of the dry bag, there is an
inflation tube with a built-in twist close inflation valve.  You shove the
tapered bag up into the end of the kayak & use the inflation tube to inflate
it such that it is locked in place.  There are also reinforced tie-down
points available to further secure the bag in place.

The other type of dry bag we use is a SEAL LINE (tm) Baja Bag.
(www.casadedesigns.com)  The sides of these bags are made from bright yellow
20 oz PVC and the bottom is made from black 32 oz PVC.  They are available
in various sizes; but, we find the 40 liter HD size to be most convienient
to fit in the mid section of our kayaks right behind the seat.  Filled with
gear or inflated, this dry bag looks like a cylinder about 12 inches OD X
about 24 inches long & has the same Dry Seal roll down closure.  When the
Dry Seal roll down closure is rolled several turns, it is quite air tight,
thus enabling the Baja Bag to be used for floatation.

Some gear, like the tent, & sleeping pad simply go into the kayak without
any further protection since they will not be damaged if they get wet.

Note, kayaks are very sensitive to fore/aft weight distribution & center of
gravity considerations.  Therefore, heavy gear is packed low & near the
middle of the kayak.  The V-bags are only used for lightweight gear like
sleeping bags and clothing.  To a certain extent, the fore/aft trim can be
adjusted by sliding the seat fore & aft on its built-in rails to shift the
position of the paddler.  The position of the foot braces is also adjustable
once the seat is positioned.  Usually, once you get a certain loading scheme
worked out; then, you stick to it & the vessel's trim does not change from
day-to-day.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium