[Rhodes22-list] Memorial Day Plans

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Sat May 29 08:43:14 EDT 2004

Rummy,

We also have an Old Town canoe, a Discovery 164.  Old Town has been building
canoes & kayaks up in Old Town, Maine for over 100 years.  It was originally
a family-owned business.  These days, Old Town is part of the Johnson
Outdoors conglomerate.

Old Town doesn't make the lightest high tech canoes & kayaks.  But, their
gear is very durable & almost maintenance free.  It's much lighter, more
dent, and scratch resistant than any of the aluminum canoes.  We really like
our Old Town canoe & kayaks.

With my Boy Scout troop, I've attended some summer camps that had Old Town
canoes.  Their stuff even seems to stand up to that punishment pretty well.

Right now, the weather forecast looks pretty iffy for our kayak trip on
Sunday & Monday; more heavy rain, strong thunderstorms, & even the
possibility of tornadoes moving thru the area!  The long range forecast
calls for rain every day thru next week Wednesday.  I wish we could have
made the kayak trip on Friday & Saturday, as those days had the only decent
weather we've had around here in the last couple of weeks.  With more rain
on top of what they've already had in the Pigeon River State Forest, I'm
afraid of flooding in the area of our campsite & the possibility of getting
the vehicles stranded in the backcountry.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium