[Rhodes22-list] Canoes, was Memorial Day Plans

bgreenwald at optonline.net bgreenwald at optonline.net
Sun May 30 00:43:29 EDT 2004

Bruce Greenwald
S/V Ruach II

----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Alm <salm at mn.rr.com>
Date: Saturday, May 29, 2004 10:50 am
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Canoes, was Memorial Day Plans

> On the subject of canoes, I thought I would mention that the
> Minneapolisobit. just ran a story about canoe builder, Gene Jenson.
> I had the good
> fortune to try out one of his designs a few years back.  It was a
> woodencanoe that weighed only 45 lbs.  It had a very low profile
> without that
> classic high bow and stern, which is only good for white water--the
> rest of
> the time it only adds weight and windage.  It was not symmetrical.
> IIRC it
> was a little fatter forward.  Its light weight, great tracking and
> beautifulwoodwork made this boat really special!  Definitely not
> something you'd want
> to bang around on the rocks, though.  Not for the boy scouts--only
> the Scout
> Master.
>
> Slim
>
> On 5/29/04 6:43 AM, "Roger Pihlaja" <cen09402 at centurytel.net> w
rote:

> > Rummy,
> >
> > We also have an Old Town canoe, a Discovery 164.  Old Town has
> been building
> > canoes & kayaks up in Old Town, Maine for over 100 years.  It was
> originally> a family-owned business.  These days, Old Town is part
> of the Johnson
> > Outdoors conglomerate.
> >
> > Old Town doesn't make the lightest high tech canoes & kayaks.
> But, their
> > gear is very durable & almost maintenance free.  It's much
> lighter, more
> > dent, and scratch resistant than any of the aluminum canoes.  We
> really like
> > our Old Town canoe & kayaks.
> >
> > With my Boy Scout troop, I've attended some summer camps that had
> Old Town
> > canoes.  Their stuff even seems to stand up to that punishment
> pretty well.
> >
> > Right now, the weather forecast looks pretty iffy for our kayak
> trip on
> > Sunday & Monday; more heavy rain, strong thunderstorms, & even the
> > possibility of tornadoes moving thru the area!  The long range
> forecast> calls fo
r rain every day thru next week Wednesday.  I
> wish we could have
> > made the kayak trip on Friday & Saturday, as those days had the
> only decent
> > weather we've had around here in the last couple of weeks.  With
> more rain
> > on top of what they've already had in the Pigeon River State
> Forest, I'm
> > afraid of flooding in the area of our campsite & the possibility
> of getting
> > the vehicles stranded in the backcountry.
> >
> > Roger Pihlaja
> > S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

I didn't get t my e-mail until tonite.  I heard my group really enjoyed themselves last nite - sorry I missed it.
I was working on my boat all day and it is in pretty good shape, although I discovered a minor - I hope - electrical problem - my running lights are not working.  Other than that, I am ready to launch and may d so anyway if the winds are undere control tomorrow - otherwise it will be later in the week.
I'll let you know when I am on the water.

Bruce.