[Rhodes22-list] Gasket For Opening Port Screen

Lloyd Crowther lcrowther at cox.net
Sat Sep 11 17:08:50 EDT 2004

Many thanks to all who replied to my original query about reinstalling the
gasket that came out one of the opening ports on Uhuru II.  I also asked
Stan (later, off the list) if he still sold replacement gaskets.  He said my
only source would be Beckson in Bridgeport, Ct. (Thank you, Stan.)  I found
them at www.beckson.com and they still sell the ports along with replacement
parts.  For you owners of '86 Rhodes22s, my port size is listed as 414
(which apparently stands for 4 inches by 14 inches) and the 'GK 414
Replacement Port Gasket 4x14' is Code  317, price $6.25 (plus shipping?).
They carry Trim Ring, Screen, Lens, Gasket, and Latch replacements.

Their web site is very informative - they also say that Frames can be
special ordered.  The spigots can be cut or extended to the proper depth.
Contact them for assistance.  They also had a page of Beckson Port Gasket
Installation Instructions, I assume they have pages of instructions for the
other parts also.

After this little search, I tried cleaning off my existing gasket with warm
water, putting it in a warm room for a few days and voila, I could bend it.
Using the installation instructions (a little tricky) I was able to
reinstall both the screen and the gasket and close and reopen the port
several times with no indication of any problems.

I recall several discussions on the list in the last two or three years
about replacing or installing opening ports on Rhodes22s.  These people may
be able to help.

Lloyd