[Rhodes22-list] Outer Banks ( quote I mentioned earlier)

Richard Smith sailnut at worldnet.att.net
Wed Apr 27 10:32:26 EDT 2005

This is the post from the Nimble forum respecting conditions at admittedly
one very small region of the Hatteras region.

The boat concerned was a Nimble Nomad which is a 24 foot OB powered
displacement Trawler.  It's probably less of a blue water boat then a
Rhodes.  However what the owners experience is all to common to costal
cruising.

Out of curiosity I checked the chart depicting the region at issue.  There
is nothing on the chart which struck me as markedly different from any inlet
around here.

That's why I stressed the importance of local knowledge.  In a follow up
post on the Nimble page someone volunteered that the conditions described
below were well known to the locals.

"last year in the Pamlico Sound at the entrance to the Neuse River in NC. I
was on the IC heading south to Oriental when a blow came up on a clear
sunfilled day. I fought the waves and had the tar beat out of me (plus the
crap scrap scared out of me!!). The boat kept pounding her way up the Neuse
river-slowly-spray breaking over the windshield-rolling-rolling-rolling!!!!
You will learn why they have all those hand holds. The boat was dry-held
together-and we made it to Oriental, NC."