[Rhodes22-list] Back Channel Communications

mputnam1 at aol.com mputnam1 at aol.com
Wed Dec 14 10:45:43 EST 2005

I think Ed has made it clear -- if you think you are asking him a question in confidence, think again.

I may be a "newbie" on this list, but I've been a contributor on many other lists ... and this is the first place I've encountered where, at least in Ed's mind, a "back channel" conversation is considered fair game for public distribution.  If he unilaterally decides something should be of interest to the world, he breaks an implied confidence.

This list has a number of clearly defined rules of etiquette.  As I learned, even an accidental ommission of one's name is cause for reprimand.  Fair enough.  But in the few weeks that I've been a part of this group, this is the second instance of back channel communications being made public by one party against the wishes of the other.

Perhaps it would be best if a decision was made, one way or the other, as to how to treat back channel communications.  If they can unilaterally be made public, at least forwarn us "newbies" in the rules and regulations.  Or, if the rest of you agree that they should be kept confidential unless both parties agree to air their correspondence (which seems, to me, the fair thing to do), then let's make that clear in the "rules" as well.

Respectfully submitted,

- Mark