[Rhodes22-list] furling sails

Mark Metzler eyeballs at maxinter.net
Fri Feb 4 10:32:03 EST 2005

Hi folks,
This was passed on to me recently and I thought the list might find it
amusing:

"And on the eighth day God created roller furling, and
He saw that it was
good." So begins the Book of Jib, a little known book
in the Bible, in
which God cast His gaze down from the heavens and
beheld the labours of
the many sailors as they raised and lowered and, with
great difficulty,
flaked their headsails, always in a grassy area which
was supposed to be
free of the droppings left by the dogs of Hell but
never was found to be
so.

"God then took pity on the humble workers of the
foredeck and inspired
His prophets Harken, Schaefer, Hood, and Profurl." To
these He gave
insight so that they might develop a device which
would lessen the
burden. For many years did the men of the sea rejoice
at their newfound
innovation. But soon they forgot that the miracle of
roller furling was a
gift from God and instead began to believe it of their
own making. They
added automatic motors, and applied it to the mainsail
as well, which
constituted a breech of ancient law, the manual
hoisting and lowering of
the mainsail being a sacrament. They furled sails
hither and yon, inside
the mast or the boom, trying to hide the shameful
practice from the eyes
of God.

God, being then displeased with the arrogance of man,
jammed the furling
units, leaving the sails exposed to the gales, which
tore at them and
made the sailors cry and gnash their teeth. The
sailors brought down
their tattered rags from aloft, and with heads hung
low did take them to
the sail maker, whose prices soared higher than the
stars in the
firmament. And with a mighty shout their checking
accounts were laid to
waste. The sailors did then beseech redemption. "From
this day forward we
shall flake our mainsails and mizzens about the boom
like men!" And God
saw that it was good

Mark Metzler
(your friendly neighborhood lurker)
**still looking for a good Rhodes22 for sale in or near the mid-Atlantic states**