[Rhodes22-list] Black Sea - Ron and Stan

Ronald Lipton rlipton at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 5 08:21:49 EST 2005

Ed,

     I have not been to the Ukraine, but I was Belarus four years ago.
Belarus is one of the few unreconstructed former Soviet states which
has retained the old communist system, as a result the country is
much like the old USSR: decayed infrastucture, inflated currency with
the street rate much different than the official rate, limited access to
services like ATMs or even places that accept credit cards.  Waiters
would do things like reuse old mineral water bottles, filling them with
tap water.

    I think the Ukraine is probably in considerably better shape.  They
have
been much more open to western influences and, despite the recent
nastiness like feeding the opposition candidate agent orange, are
more open in general than Belarus, but that really isn't saying much.

   My wife has a colleague who has been conducting a epidemiological
study at Kiev related to Chernobyl.  She commutes to Ukraine regularly.
I can ask Becky to see if she can get more up-to-date information.  I
will
get her name if your wife wants to e-mail her directly, since they are
both in health-care they may talk the same language.

Ron