[Rhodes22-list] Advice Please!

Dan Bodnar dsbodnar at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 6 14:27:02 EST 2005

Nell,
Another 2 cents regarding tow vehicles.  Everyone's advice was spot on,
power, long wheel base, and a tow package or at least transmission cooler
are all important and make towing any distance more worry free, and almost
pleasurable.  Any Toyota that can do the job will undoubtedly be a
satisfying ownership experience.  However, since I work for FOMOCO, I feel
obliged to put in a plug. The new Explorer with V8 can tow 7000 lbs. (The
Durango with Hemi can probably tow even more.)  I personally use an E150
passenger van (quad captain's chairs and a 5400 lb towing capacity) to tow
with, and like that package.  A caution on conversion vans... too many are
built using the smallest V8 available (to keep the price down), and since
they are loaded down with gingerbread, that leaves little GCVW (and reserve
engine) for towing.  Also vans are more difficult to maneuver in reverse.
The compact SUVs may be a more civilized compromise, especially if your
towing is limited to a few times a year and relatively short distances.
I'll add that I converted my trailer to dual axle and am pleased with that
modification as well. The boat's position the boat isn't quite as critical
to get it to track straight behind the truck.

Dan Bodnar
SV QOL