[Rhodes22-list] Mark Metzler - details on Stan's reply

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Tue Feb 8 09:22:34 EST 2005

Mark:
	There are several on this list who have Standard Main rigged boats.
Most of us do not.  If you are looking for performance, then standard
rigging is a definite consideration.
	Most of us have the IMF.  Its uniqueness has been delineated
numerous times.  The reason why Stan is not interested a standard rigged
boat is the small market size for recycled standard rigs.
	The cost of the IMF used to be significant.  Now the costs of such
rigging has increased dramatically in the last few years.  To make the IMF,
Stan has to order a large number of mast extrusions to his precise
specifications.  No other mast will do.  What that means is to change a used
boat to IMF requires all brand new mast, boom, rigging, parts, sails, lines,
etc., and add the cost of doing the change.   Simply put, it requires a lot
of money.
	In summary, if all you are looking for is a good used hull, the New
Jersey boat is probably a good buy.  If you are looking for all the modern
contemporary features that sell the R22, keep looking.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Addendum:  "Every yachtsman would like to have the most effective sail plan
possible" John R. Stanton, Aspect ratios and efficiency, The Best of Sail
Trim, 1975