[Rhodes22-list] Blue Water Boats

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Tue Feb 8 12:11:27 EST 2005

Brad,

The interior wood doesn't require a lot of maintenance - if varnished,
there's no UV exposure, so it lasts quite a while. If oiled, a periodic
cleaning w/ Murphy's keeps it looking nice.

The exterior wood is a bit of a PITA - we've gotten pretty good service from
Cetol.

I love the woodwork inside the boat. The difference between the interior of
a Tayana and a more "modern" boat like a Hunter or a Beneteau is a bit like
the difference between a Victorian house and a double-wide. No comparison in
workmanship, even though the living space in the double-wide is generally
lighter and more open. That's not to knock the "more modern" boats - I just
love the look and feel of that wonderful teak joinery.

And to top it off, the Ta Shing Panda is all curves inside - I just looked
in Yachtworld, but there's only one on there right now. You can see the
curve of the settee and the salon, but there are no good pics of the galley
or the v-berth - both of which are exquisite and were a large reason we so
liked the boat. The one we looked at had a starburst inlaid salon table and
the cushions were probably the most comfortable of any boat we looked at.
Problem is, they're more pricey than the Tayana - they were asking $5K more
for the Panda we looked at that needed a lot of work than we paid for our
Tayana that was ready to go. And that was $30-35K less than any other Panda
on the market at that time. Gorgeous boats, though.

Mark