[Rhodes22-list] Nuclear Energy

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Feb 19 09:54:48 EST 2005

Roger,

Of course I wonder why they want it.

But that's not the point.

You and others argued for the continued development of Nuclear Energy.
That carries with it the development of nuclear energy by other
countries, as well as us--meaning that everyone will figure out how to
pack that energy into very small packages that can be exported at will.
Pakistan, a Muslim military dictatorship, has amply demonstrated this
capability by exporting bomb technology all over the world.

The President of the United States claims our Social Security system is
in crisis because it will be underfunded in 75 years.  If we can look 75
years ahead, and plan for the future, why can't Iran or any other
country do the same thing?

World problems are complex, and they are not solved by simplistic
thinking.  I can make a case for Nuclear Energy, however any case for
nuclear energy must address the fact that everyone who learns that
technology will inevitably also learn how to create devastating weapons
using the same knowledge.

Nuclear weapons are one of the small number of genies that can be put
back into the bottle.  The whole world knew that Iraq didn't have
them--only the President of the United States claimed to have better
information than everyone else, justifying his invasion, at a time when
weapons inspectors on the ground said unequivocally that Iraq did not
currently possess nuclear weapons.

Nuclear power plants can mask the presence of nuclear weapons.  That's
why Iran wants them.  You can't say that we should switch to nuclear
energy, but at the same time we should prevent everyone else from doing
the same thing.  Either nobody gets them, or everybody gets them.

When push comes to shove, I think I fall on the side of nobody gets
them.  We should work to develop other means to harness energy.  While
we may run out of oil, the current model of the universe predicts that
we will always have more energy than we can safely use.  Certainly we
won't have to worry about that for the next couple of billion years.

So where do you fall?  Is nuclear energy too dangerous, or isn't it?  Is
it OK for Iran to have nuclear power plants, or not?  You can't have it
both ways, and people like you are the people who will decide how this
goes.  If you say the engineering equivalent of "Damn the
torpedoes--full speed ahead!" this world will be awash with nuclear
weapons.  If you say "We've got to do better!" you and others like you
can work to find energy sources that don't have the dangers attendant to
nuclear energy.

In a serious discussion of the matter, I don't see how you can take one
position with regard to "us" and a different position with regard to "them".

Bill Effros