[Rhodes22-list] Politics and Technology

Ronald Lipton rlipton at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 20 17:27:45 EST 2005

There are several components to the debate, I would consider
politics, policy, economics and technology on a similar footing.
We have the technology to store nuclear waste in a safer environment
than the pools near reactors where they are currently stored.  The
economics of operating nuclear plants strongly benefits from such
a site, the politics (PR) of the plant operators also benefit.  The
politics
is such that the local interests have effectively blocked the beginning
of operations, added to the costs by complication and  delay.  Not all
of
this is bad. The overall safety has been improved by the detailed
studies necessitated by the active opposition.

It demonstrates how difficult it is to formulate an effective policy in
the
absence of a national emergency. Part of the DOE "policy" was based
on Yucca mountain operations.  Nuclear policy in general faces similar
problems.  For the non-proliferation issue both technical solutions
(particular liquid metal reactor types) have been proposed as well as
political solutions (non-proliferation).  Nothing will happen to the
technical solutions until they become politically and economically
viable, or we are forced to act.

We have had a number of lectures on energy issues in the past that
are available as streaming video
new technologies:
http://vmsstreamer1.fnal.gov/VMS_Site_02/Lectures/Colloquium/Sackett/
index.htm
and
plutonium proliferation:
http://vmsstreamer1.fnal.gov/Lectures/Colloquium/Leventhal/index.htm

Other scheduled lectures include
Apr 13
Steven Koonin
BP
A Physicist's View of the World's Energy Situation

Jul 6
John Turner
National Renewable Energy Lab
Sustainable Hydrogen Economy
T. Zimmerman

 I can post links to these lectures when they are posted if people are
interested.
(I would also be happy to post links describing why missile defense is
bad
policy.)

Ron