[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Launching and Retrieving

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Fri Jan 14 18:26:05 EST 2005

Bryan:
	What I do not remember is the year of your boat.  The newer boats
are apparently heavier and are harder to balance on the trailers.  On my
'84, I found that taking the motor off and putting it on the adjustable
stopper arm was sufficient to make the tongue weight ok.
	My approach of winching it twice seems to keep the boat forward when
pulling the boat out of steep ramps.  Once you get the boat where you want
it, the challenge is to keep it there.
	After the second winch tightening you might add trailer load tie
downs.  The new trailers actually have fore and aft attaching rings welded
on.  It takes a 16-foot strap to wrap both fore and aft using the new
attaching points.  Using the strapping might keep the boat from moving.  I
know that keeps the boat positioned once you are loaded and hit bumps in the
road, the boat does not move.
	Maybe you can persuade Rummy to take a picture of my trailer's tie
downs.  He has the digital camera and is at Big Water more than me.
	Now, when are you going to be in the Keys this year.  How many miles
do you tow your boat?  Do you have a location where you put your boat in?
My wife gets a week off sometime in March, but I have been thinking of some
place a whole lot closer, however?

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Sailing on Rummy's Pond, aka, Lake Hartwell