[Rhodes22-list] Air Races - Mary Dilda

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 1 06:47:40 EDT 2005

Hank,

Ouch!  That hurts just to think about, and expensive!
Mary and her husband Steve bought their first T-6 from
another of our pilots, Jimmy Gist. Steve has his own
T-6 now and is President of the T-6 race association.
Expensive toys but now they have several sponsers.
Mac-Tools already sponsered a racer at Reno and so
Snap-On picked up Mary.  A semi-truck pulled up to
their hangar one day and said "I got your tools".
Steve explained that they didn't order any tools.
Snap-on gave them about five or so fully stocked tool
boxes with just about everything they make. The boxes
cover the whole back wall of their hangar.

Several of my co-workers that live in Texas are
involved in the Confederate Air Force.  Neat
organization. Last week I stumbled on a company that
is selling fractional ownership shares in a DC-3 for
corporate use (just like Warren Buffet's company
NetJets) does for corporate jets.  I'd like to see
someone do that for a Connie, still the sexiest
transport ever built.

Brad

PS:  While I was typing this crew scheduling called to
advise me I've been bumped off tomorrows trip to EWR
because training needs it.  Were going sailing!  Were
going sailing!

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local_news/article/0,1426,MCA_437_3820744,00.html

> [...]
> >
> > "If you get into any wake turbulence it has a
> tendency
> > to knock you around," potentially into the pylons
> or
> > other planes, Dilda said. "They have had planes
> > connect and they never make it."
> >
> > Death is a reality in air racing. Fourteen pilots
> have
> > been killed since 1964 at the Reno Air Races --
> until
> > this year the sport's only regular venue -- and
> given
> > how few people compete in the extraordinarily
> > expensive pastime, few other sports have as high a
> > fatality rate.
> >
> > It's the sport's danger, though, that creates the
> > thrills. It's why NASCAR is more exciting than
> track
> > meets and why people go to the rodeo.
> >
> > Dilda is up front about the risk but doesn't dwell
> on
> > it.
> >
> > "It is dangerous but these things can happen at
> any
> > point in time," she said. Besides, she said, the
> > pilots she races "are the cream of the crop."
> >
> > At 46, Dilda is blonde, trim and disarmingly
> friendly.
> > But her ready smile belies the cut- throat
> instincts
> > of a competitor.
> >
> > In her eight years of racing at Reno she has
> finished
> > in the top five of the T6 class in all but her
> first
> > year, with two second-place finishes. In 2002,
> flying
> > a borrowed Czech fighter at more than 400 mph, she
> won
> > the jet class, beating a field that included a
> pair of
> > astronauts.
> >
> > Dilda has been flying since she was a teenager in
> > rural New Mexico, tagging along with her rancher
> > father in his Cessna. At Oklahoma State
> University,
> > Dilda gave flying lessons and soon after joined
> the
> > Air Force.
> >
> > She served for 10 years, including during the
> first
> > Gulf War when she flew massive C141 cargo planes.
> >
> > She has been with FedEx since 1994 as a simulator
> > instructor and more recently a cargo pilot. Racing
> and
> > stunt flying followed, after she and Steve bought
> Two
> > of Hearts in 1996. Steve has raced in the past but
> > he'll serve as the "air boss" at the Tunica races,
> > directing the planes from the ground.
> >
> > Her dedication to flying has resulted in some
> > sacrifices, notably not having children.
> >
> > "When I was young I decided I was going to be a
> mother
> > or a pilot but I couldn't do both," she said. "I
> give
> > credit to all the women who do it, but gosh ..."
> >
> > No children, of course, means more time to spend

=== message truncated ===