[Rhodes22-list] SAILING BISCAYNE BAY

Robert Quinn rjquinn at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 3 21:20:10 EDT 2005

Richard:  You have made the right choice in boats.  With the "skinny water"
in your chosen area the R22 will suit the waters very well owing to the 20"
draft board up and only 4' board down.  Depending on how and where you plan
to use the boat, a GPS with chart plotter ( the Garmin 276C or something
along the lines of the182C with built in antenna) would be a nice to have
item, again because of the shallow waters, reefs, and skinny cuts.  Charts
of course are always advised.  There are several good cruising guides for
the area as well.  I like Frank Papy's Cruising Guide to the Florida Keys
for fun and entertainment.  Clairborne Young also has a much more detailed
guide.  A good VHF radio is also a must.  Carrying a cell phone is also
recommended and all recommended safety gear that the Coast Guard recommends.
If you plan to anchor out, good ground tackle is a must.

The Hawk Channel (Atlantic side) can get mean so you need to watch the
weather very carefully - when it is nice, it is wonderful.  Biscayne Bay and
Florida Bay can kick up but should prove manageable most of the time for a
R22.  If you chose to use the Hawk Channel, make sure you know all of the
cuts to get into Florida Bay so you can cut and run when you need to, which
should not be too often.

We spent a month last year out of Key West (sailed from Punta Gorda to Key
West via Naples, Marco Island, Shark River, and Marathon).  We then sailed
back to Marathon but as the weather was not great, we cut under the seven
mile bridge into Florida Bay to Matacumbe and Pumpkin Key before jumping out
into Biscayne Bay for a great sail up to Cape Florida. (Sailing on Biscayne
Bay is truly a must do!)  We then jumped out and headed up to Ft. Lauderdale
and Lake Worth before getting back to our home port in Stuart.  Now realize
we were not on a R22 but a larger cruising boat with a permanent 4'5" draft,
The GPS and charts were mandatory. We sailed our R22 out of Stuart for 10
years and we have sailed boats of similar size in the Keys over the years.
As the man said: "just do it!"

Bob and Kathy on the "NoKaOi"