[Rhodes22-list] sail trim and traveler adjustments

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Sun Jun 12 11:30:53 EDT 2005

Ed,

The traveler and the mainsheet are tools used to control mainsail leech
tension and twist.  Increased mainsheet tension will tighten and close the
leech and reduce mainsail twist.  This is good for pointing in moderate air
(8-12), but in light air (under 8) you can power up the main by letting the
mainsheet out to open up the leech.  Without any vang pressure (no problem
on a R22) this will cause the top of the sail to twist off to leeward and
the boom will also move away from centerline.  If you let too much out the
sail will luff -- if you don't bring the traveller to windward.  Now with
the travellor to windward you have an open leech with plenty of twist
without luffing the sail.  You might also want to let the outhaul out a
little to increase the draft.   You are now set up for light air.  Set up
like this for light air you won't point as well, but in in light air that's
not the point <g>.  In light air it's better to "foot" off and keep moving.

Now in heavy air, it's the opposite.  A flat depowered mailsail is better.
(Oops - I forgot about the IMF.  Let's pretend we all have standard mains
with no reef points, so I can complete this thought).  Pull the outhaul all
the way tight to reduce draft.  Pull the mainsheet tight to close the leech.
Now you must let the traveller go to leeward to maintain the tight leech
when going to windward, to spill air.

That's it. Now go try it!

PT