[Rhodes22-list] Genoa leads and sail position

sandcity at comcast.net sandcity at comcast.net
Thu Jun 16 01:11:57 EDT 2005

I have enjoyed reading recent posts about sail trim and use of Traveller etc. and appreciate the time taken to educate novices like myself. Our 89 rhodes was delivered in March and since that time have had a ball sailing any chance we get. I am somewhat confused however about trimming the Jib/Genoa and proper used of Jib leads and cars by cockpit. When sailing to wind in light airs I have set a full genoa and have tried to run the sheet through both the gunnel  leads by the cabin or cars by the cockpit. The leech flutters and I can't seem to trim effectively. Should I shorten the genoa in this case and run sheets through the cabin top leads? In heavier air trimming seems much easier.  What is the proper use of Jib leads, cockpit cars, and cabin top leads on most points of sail? With a full genoa is there ever a time that neither leads or cars are used? I find myself constantly rerouting the sheets to try to obtain a full sail and am driving my crew crazy. Hope this makes sense and appreciate any suggestions or input. Thanks

Kevin Halligan