[Rhodes22-list] More is better anchoring.

Alex Bell alexbell at lpmonline.net
Tue Jun 28 00:59:50 EDT 2005

Julie,

The Delta anchor should be just about all you'll need in most places.
It's a plow that's a better design than the highly touted CQR which I
managed to drag around for 45 minutes before I got it set the last time
I used it ( on Kizmet). We have a Delta on Blewdaze carried in the
lazerette in a bag with chain and rode. Never had to use it, but
Blewdaze doesn't get much ancoring in.It's our "storm anchor" for her.
We've used the danfroth type anchor hanging on the bow pulpit in
moderate conditions and rockey bottoms on Navajo Lake. Never anchored
around here in NC.

 Kizmet carries the CQR and a Bruce anchors. I use the Bruce for that
boat since our bottoms are mostly muck and the Bruce sets easily. Wish I
could trade the CBQ for a Delta.

I've never tied off to shore and anchored except for a lunch/swimming
stop. Dealing with two anchors deployed and the risk of fouling your
rode has kept me from trying that. Our biggest concern here is going
aground in the much, so I want an anchor keeping me away from the shore.
BTW, three anchors is more than mild overkill. I like that. Guess we
could say we've got that third anchor in the dinghy, but it's a small
mushroom good for an inflatable if you throw it ashore and bury it with
sand. Sure wouldn't do much for the other boats. I think anchors need
flukes of some sort to do any good. I had a folding grapnel kind of
thing that I used for my Newport 17 once.... I used it to pull myself
away from the dock area at Cowan Lake in Wilmington, Ohio. Anyone wants
it, its there. Seems I threw it out to pull the boat one too many times,
forgot to tie off the rode and I watched it sail out there with the rode
trailing. That was years ago. I can laugh now.

Alex Bell