[Rhodes22-list] Playing at Anchor

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Jun 28 11:07:52 EDT 2005

Rob,

It sure is nice to see passion about something other than politics!

I had not expected to enter this discussion before next winter, when I
planned to be writing more and sailing less.  I have not yet tested most
of the anchoring theories that interest me.

Stan believes the R-22 should be bow-heavy for best sailing results.  I
have always thought that is why the heavy, vinyl-clad anchor is sitting
on the bow rail.  Mine isn't even attached to rode.  I never use it.
It's a lousy anchor.  The vinyl cladding dulls the points on the flukes,
making the anchor difficult to set.  I don't think the anchor works much
better than a cinder block of the same weight. (On the other hand, a
cinder block wouldn't look as good.)

As you may remember, I mentioned six or eight months ago that I had more
than a half-dozen anchors on board, and planned to test them out this
summer.  The first one I tested was the 1 1/2 pound folding grapnel, and
it worked much better than I ever thought it would.  It will work just
fine as a lunch hook, and you will never hesitate to use it.  I plan to
test the 3 lb. next to see if doubling the weight of the anchor and
increasing the distance between the flukes changes either the ability to
set and reset, or the reluctance to drop an anchor because of the
perceived difficulty of retrieval.

I can strongly recommend stern anchoring as a technique that will keep
both you and your boat safe.  It looks a little goofy, but it works.  If
you are in an anchorage where everyone else is bow anchored, you may
want to walk your anchor line up to your bow cleat for appearance' sake.

When it comes time to raise the anchor, do it from the stern, again.
Walk the line back.  Raise the anchor 5 feet or so off the bottom, and
immediately start moving the boat slowly forward, either under motor or
sail.  Once the boat is again firmly under your control, raise the
anchor the rest of the way.  The key here is that you don't drift while
wrestling with an unnecessarily heavy anchor.

I stow the anchor and rode in a Rubbermaid container under the port seat
in the cockpit, where I can get to it, and deploy it, literally in seconds.

Please note, if you have never used a folding grapnel before, the
locking ring that protects you from the tines while the anchor is
folded, must be slid down the shaft of the anchor and locked in the
lower position while anchoring.  This keeps the tines properly splayed,
and is essential for effective anchoring.

Bill Effros