[Rhodes22-list] Possible new/recycled Rhodes

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 7 08:15:20 EST 2005

Dick,

Sweet looking boat.The R22 will provide you the flexibility you describe. It
will not be as as stable as your 9000#, more like a dinghy. :-) I may have
missed this; what is your home port?

You will need a tow vehicle capable of towing at least 4300 #s. I have
rigged quite a few sailboats and find the R22 pretty easy to launch and
retrieve. IMF makes the mast heavy so get the Mast Hoist system or rig
something your self.

Try to get a ride on one. Make sure your happy with the way it sails and
suits your needs. If you are planning on seeing other waters the R22 would
work for you. It doesn't have the tradional lines of your Alberg but it
sails very nice. It is not a J-Boat but it isn't a dog. It will keep up with
most boats under 25 feet even with IMF. It has to be the easiest pocket
cruiser in the world to single hand.

I was out Saturday solo in gusts up to 35 mph and Sunday in a perefect
steady 10 - 13. Saturday I furled my 125 genny down just a tad and had a
"double furl" in the main. Had plenty of power and speed to pull up wind
into current and whitecaps. Yesterday was calmer and we sailed 9 miles down
river and back.

I am not sure I would want to part with your Alberg. But if you decide you
really want to cruise other waters the R22 would be a good choice. If you
keep your Alberg add a jib furler. They are nice.

Fair Winds,

Wally