[Rhodes22-list] Anchor Chain Question

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Tue Mar 15 06:42:20 EST 2005

Rik,

I downloaded the article you referenced, very interesting!.  The author's
use of the theory is sound.  However, for some reason, the author uses an
odd combination of engineering units: knots, pounds mass but not pounds
force, meters, feet, both mass and force in kg?  I was expecting to see
force in newtons when the rest of the calculation was done in the MKS metric
system.  I haven't had a chance to check his math.  But, it's been my
experience that calculations made with inconsistent engineering units tend
to have mistakes in them.  Normally, what's done, is to do a calculation all
the way thru to the end in one system of engineering units.  If the results
are to be presented in more than one system of units, the conversions are
made at the end on the final results.  So, be warned; even though he's got
the theory correct, his numerical results may be wrong because of this units
conversion issue.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium