[Rhodes22-list] Bottom Paint

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Nov 23 00:14:01 EST 2005

Bob,

I've been using the ablative Petit Ultima No Slime version and have been
very happy with it for a number of years.  We have aggressive growth
here, and taking out a clean hull used to be a real challenge.  I pull
my boat every 6 months for 6 months.  I slap on another coat of bottom
paint every time I pull.  And I do mean "slap on".  When it comes to
painting, I am probably the worst painter in the world.  But I figured
that only the barnacles would see my work, and that the water would
smooth out my paint job.  This has worked very well.  I don't sand.  I
don't prep.  I just roll on and forget.  Any place I miss one year, I'm
sure to get the next.  I put on the paint just before I launch so no one
can see what a poor job I have done.  When I pull the boat in the fall,
there are no barnacles, no growth, and the paint job looks just as good
as everyone else's.  Then I repeat the cycle next spring.  I have a red
warning coat under the black coats I add.  Every once in a while I see a
little red tinge poking through, so I slap on the paint extra heavy at
that location.

Local knowledge is the way to go with bottom paints.  Some work better
in some places, some work better in others.  Go with the people who have
been doing it in your new location.

I have never experienced paint build up.  The stuff ablates right off if
you move your boat.  Also, it will stick to almost anything.  I might
prepare Teflon paint, but I wouldn't get too involved with preparing one
ablative surface to accept a different ablative paint.

Bill Effros