[Rhodes22-list] Why Rebuild New Orleans?

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Sep 17 14:21:49 EDT 2005

Wally,

Downtown Manhattan is below sea level.  Everything is built on "stilts"
that go down to the bedrock.  The "stilts" are not exposed, the way they
are in California mountain homes or barrier island beach homes.
Landfill covers the "stilts" and underground levees protect them.

The Hurricane did not breach the levee in New Orleans, and the airplanes
hitting the World Trade Center did not cause the towers to collapse.  We
here in New York were repeatedly told that the Towers had been built to
withstand collisions with airplanes.  Airplanes have hit many buildings
in New York with only localized damage.  Never, until now, did a
building of this size collapse as a result.  We are told that the new
buildings will be able to withstand an airplane collision.

We are also told that the Mississippi levees are built in such a way
that they will not be destroyed if they are over-topped.  The Lake
Ponchartrain levees could be rebuilt the same way.

Bill Effros.