[Rhodes22-list] small traveller cleats

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Fri Sep 30 08:26:38 EDT 2005

Rhodies,

I just wanted to report a slight reworking of the traveler clam cleats that worked out successfully.  (I don't write up the failures).

After reading some of Roger's old posts about improving the traveler for racing by enabling forward cleating, it seemed like a good idea.  Roger suggested using a Harken traveler end bar cleat part -- the part number he mentioned has now been replaced by a newer, more expensive part.  APS quoted around $300 for everything.  That was out of my budget.

APS also has small aluminum (ordered mine anodized) ClamCleats that work well with the 5/32 continuous line Mark previously rigged on Raven.  These are mounted at about a 30 degree forward angle, so the line now leads forward and can be easily released to dump the traveler in a gust while sitting near the forward end of the tiller.  In combination with the continuous 5/32 control line, this system works pretty well.  The fairlead end of this aluminum ClamCleat is pretty smooth and fair so the line runs smoothly.  They are more rugged than the larger plastic ClamCleats that came on Raven.  Sitting on the leeward side (in light air), you can pull the car to windward and cleat back to the leeward one.

Total cost for the parts was under $25.  The hard part was drilling and tapping the stainless traveler bar.  Stan picked some really heavy, thick metal.  Use fine thread machine screws #8 per ClamCleat instructions.  If this description is not totally clear, check out the pictures attached.

Fair winds,

PT