[Rhodes22-list] We're In the Water!

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Sat Apr 15 13:51:38 EDT 2006

Steve,

If you were thinking about sailing up to WDC, you might consider being  here
for the 4 July fireworks.  They're better than pretty good (your  tax dollars
at work) and staged from the ellipse, which almost  fronts on the water on one
side - check your maps.  Although we have  never watched the fireworks from
afloat we have observed them from the shore  several times; each time we saw
boats on the river lined up at anchor and  the people on those boats enjoying
the show and their own private  parties.  And the best part always seemed to me
that those guys didn't have  to face the horrendus commute home after the
fireworks, they could just say on  their boats.

I don't know the restrictions as to where you would be allowed to  anchor and
where you wouldn't.  I'm sure that some locations  would be better than
others, and some areas of the river may be excluded.   As I recall, it's not
wall-to-wall boats, but there are a fair number, and I  expect they arrive at their
anchorings early, to get a good location.   I expect the boaters spend much of
 the day partying on the water  at their anchoring.  And of course, the
federales are out in force on the  water, so good behavior is at a premium.

If you were going to spend most of a day in July anchored in the Potomac,
I'd recommend a bimini or sun-shade - A/C would be nice.  Also, you might  need
bug netting for the evening/night, your nations capital really was  built on a
swamp.   If there were a breeze, the heat and bugs might  not be an issue, or
as much of an issue.

If you wanted to hang around WDC for sightseeing, I think the Washington
Sailing Marina (WSM) has transient slips, but they might be booked way  ahead,
don't know -  I recommend you check this out in advance.   It's a small facility
and there is a huge demand for slips - and I imagine a  huge demand for
transient slips.  I think the bad news about the WSM as a  base for sightseeing is
that it's well removed from any public  transportation - you really need a car
to get to WDC, or anywhere.   It's located along an idyllic section of the GW
parkway, except that it's  near enough to the south end of National Airport
that it's over flown by  aircraft landing or taking off about every 2 to 3
minutes.  So noise is a  problem, but it's very picturesque, and pretty isolated
from WDC.  I  suppose you could hike to the Metro subway station at Washington
National  Airport,  I've never made that hike,  but I think  it would  be
significant, by my standards.

The other marina I'm familiar with, Bellehaven, is just outside the  beltway.
 It's even smaller than the WSM, and you would definitely need a  car to
access any of the WDC area for sightseeing.

There may be facilities that would allow you to tie up overnight in
Alexandria.  WDC sightseeing attractions are only a bus ride away from  Alexandria (a
long bus ride).  Old Town Alexandria is worth a look if  you're into the
Williamsburg kind of thing.   I know you can tie  up at Alexandria for lunch,
shopping, and that sort of thing - I don't know  about overnight.

I don't think you can sail up to Mt Vernon, to pay your respects to Mr
Washington, which is really too bad.  I think water access to that  area is
restricted, I could be wrong.

There is at least one marina over on the Paxtuxent River part of WDC,  but
I'm told it's in a very rough part of town.  You, your family, and  your
outboard motor might be at risk.

I believe you can tie up in the Georgetown area, which would provide you  to
good access to WDC.  But I'm not sure you can tie up overnight - as  opposed
to lunch, shopping, etc.   I understand, from newspaper  reports, that on
summer weekend evenings it's pretty crowded with  boats tied up 3 deep to get to
the pier, and it's a hyperactive social  scene.  I haven't seen this, I've only
read about it.

I've thought of trying to sail up the Potomac to WDC this year for the
fireworks, but I have no clue as to how long that up-river passage would  take.  It
might take a long time.

Dave