[Rhodes22-list] Bow floatation

David Bradley dwbrad at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 20:12:45 EDT 2006

Rob,  Others on the list will know more, but it sounds like you could drop
in a locker with hatches opening from above.  I'm not sure if the sizes are
right, but I seem to remember plastic lockers with hinged lids in West
Marine catalog?  Would hold the foam in place and give you some dry storage
in a convenient spot, maybe?  Since I'm getting a new boat I'll try it in 15
or 20 years.  )

Dave B.

On 4/17/06, Rob Lowe <rlowe at vt.edu> wrote:

> I reported to the list some time ago that the foam floatation in the bow
> of our boat (1976 model) was "loose" and had shifted so that it was no
> longer level and certainly useless as a berth.  I finally got around to
> addressing it over the weekend.  I took the plywood covering off (after
> unscrewing to 50 odd screws holding the hinge together).  The foam had
> shifted aft and the forward part was lower.  So, how to pick up the forward
> part and lift it?  I tried screwing in a large bolt but that didn't hold.  I
> looked around and there is the anchor rode sitting there in it's storage
> bucket.  I looped the rode around the bow part of the foam and it lifted
> right up.  I pushed the aft end forward as I lifted and the chunk of foam
> rotated.  I could feel in pop back into place.  Roger (back when he was on
> the list) suggested using "Great Stuff" or some other type of expanding foam
> to "glue" the foam back into place and I plan to do that.  What surprised me
> though is there is about an 8 inch gap between the foam and wooden
> "bulkhead" (for lack of a better word, someone know the correct term?).
>
> So, what to do with this space?  I could fill it with foam, but that would
> take probably 20 cans of spray in foam.  Or, buy the
> two-part-mix-it-yourself-stuff pour in foam.  Or, maybe just use 2 by 8
> blocking to keep the foam from shifting aft again.
>
> Any suggestions?  Anybody else's boat set up the same?  How is your
> floatation foam set up?  thanks in advance
>
> Rob Lowe
> S/V Getaway

David Bradley
203.253.9973