[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring in a 5 knot current

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Apr 18 10:37:44 EDT 2006

Rummy,

I sail flat almost all the time.  My anchors are in a Rubbermaid
container slid forward under the Port cockpit seat.  On my boat, the
distance between the lip of the seat and the cockpit floor decreases as
you move forward, so it is possible to put the containers under the seat
only from the stern-most third of the cockpit.  I have my gas tank
blocking that opening most of the time.  The anchor container has never
slid across the cockpit floor, although I can reach my hand into it
while it is under the seat and remove either anchor.  The line will pay
out from under the seat.  I remove the gas tank and the anchor container
to flake the rode after retrieving the anchor.  Then back it goes to its
place.  BTW I use very light anchors.  Less than 3 lb.s each, no chain.
Having them always nearby, and knowing they won't be a chore to
retrieve, puts them in use far more often.

Bill Effros