[Rhodes22-list] ? frozen gear box housing on new motors?

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Thu Apr 20 13:29:37 EDT 2006

Electrolysis is a funny animal. I've seen propeller blades where one is  half
gone and the other is just fine. Very little reason for why it does what it
does. You just need to be careful about disconnecting any battery power when
you  leave the boat or it will find a way out. Raising the motor completely out
of  the water is an easy way to prevent electrolysis through the shaft. Shore
power  presents a whole different set of problems and I won't go there.
Coating the bolts to prevent seizure sounds like good preventative
maintenance to me, especially with a new expensive four stroke. You have  dissimilar
metals in that area. The bolts are stainless and the housing is  aluminum. The
problem is even worse if you are in salt water.

Rummy