[Rhodes22-list] Flare guns & state law

Saroj Gilbert saroj at pathfind.net
Tue Apr 25 21:36:11 EDT 2006

My two cents worth:

When I was taking my boat down the York River in S.E. Virginia last year, I
was boarded and inspected by the U.S. Coast Guard who noticed that my flares
were out of date.  They told me that I was prohibited from entering the
Chesapeake Bay unless I had fresh flares.  I disregarded that since my
destination required it and I had no way to get fresh flares while underway.
Luckily they were long gone by the time we got to the Bay.  I can't imagine
that every day sailer that sails in the Chesapeake carries flares, out-dated
or not.

Saroj