[Rhodes22-list] Hurricane Evac

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Sun Aug 27 23:07:20 EDT 2006

Interesting indeed. I did some rescue work in NO after Katrina, and came away with some strong opinions. I think, eventually, this country is going to have to come to some clear defined standards for "recommended evacuation" and "mandatory evacuation". I believe a "mandatory evacuation" should consist of this type of warning:

You are in a free country, and we will not force you to leave. However, we will shut down all emergency personnel. We will not provide police or ambulance support, we will not deliver food or water to you, and we will not send in rescue workers for you. In short, if you foolishly decide to risk your life by staying, we will not let your foolish affliction spread to us, by risking the lives of others to make up for your refusal to take advice now.

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
1976 O'Day 25
Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
1971 Coronado 35
Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> jhnpldng at earthlink.net 8/27/2006 1:13:23 pm >>>

Interesting article on Katrina and Ivan.
http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index.php?menuID=2&subID=840