[Rhodes22-list] Blind Dog Advice

Steven Alm stevenalm at comcast.net
Wed Dec 27 10:58:53 EST 2006

Brad,

So sorry to hear about Gracie.  It's weird that you should mention this
because we just went through this with our dog Rio.  He went to the
groomer last week and when he came back his eyes were infected with
something.  He was holding his eyes closed tight and when we pried his
lids open, the cornea on both eyes were white!  The vet gave him some
pain meds and also some antibiotic goop to put in the eyes four times a
day.  We still don't know what caused this.  The groomer used three
products on him--shampoo, ear cleaner and ear powder which she had used
on him before with no problem.  But it could have been the hair dryer
that could have burned his eyes or dust or other matter could have
caused irritation.  We don't know and the vet couldn't nail it down
either.  It took nearly a week but he's OK now.  In fact it was just
yesterday he went back to the vet who gave him a clean bill of health
and he's now off the meds and 100% OK.

Because Gracie's (and Rio's) problem came on so quickly, it's unlikely
that it's cataracts or anything permanent.  It's more likely to be an
infection/irritation and can be treated.   Rummy's idea of an allergy
might be right.  Good luck!

Slim