[Rhodes22-list] Boom Room and Bimini arch

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Sun Feb 12 18:00:48 EST 2006

GlacierHello Rhodies,

I've enjoyed reading the boom room discussion and just want to throw another
tidbit into the pot.

After mid May to end of July, when the haze sets in, the sun is pretty
intense down here.  During these times from 10am to about 4pm we cover up
and we sail with the pop top up and bimini to create some shade.  I have
three sailing friends with skin cancer.  Actually, now only two because
unfortunately one died last year of melanoma.

The bimini is a royal PITA, but in late spring and early summer its a
necessity.  The best thing I have figured out to do with it when it is not
deployed during midday and when the main is furled is to raise the boom a
bit, furl the bimini and lash it to the boom in a vertical position like a
Hunter arch - see picture attached.  That way it doesn't obstruct the
companionway or get in the traveler.  Sometimes we lean it forward against
the cabin.   It's an exercise in compromise.

 I wonder if a BR could be made to fit over a vertically stored furled B?
It makes a pretty sturdy frame when the boom is bungeed to the furled B
frame and the topping lift and mainsheet adjusted just right.   Maybe add an
aft yoke and a forward one near the PT and use the B in the middle?

The other BR ideas sound great and the idea of a BR for under a grand sounds
like a winner to me.

PT