[Rhodes22-list] GPS, Wally, Mary Lou, big spenders

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Sun Feb 12 21:20:43 EST 2006

Robert the Mainer here.

Actually, I have used "barking dog" navigation in the fog.
In the fall, as the fog became more prevalent, I left my dog
on the island rather than taking him with me.

When I figured I was somewhere close to the island, I
shouted his name, and he barked back, giving me a fix.  Had
to stop it, though.  One day he decided to jump in and come
and get me.  I found him swimming toward me, hundreds of
feet from the island.  I felt terrible, having lured him
into danger.

I must admit that I borrowed the idea from the Dutch, as
most of their barges had small dogs aboard, and the dogs
acted as very active transponders.

So now I use a GPS, so that I am less likely to lure humans
into equally dangerous conditions to rescue me...

I tried to get up to eastern shore of the Hudson Bay to hang
with the Inuit at Fort George in '78, but the Hydro company
that was busy destroying their fresh water fishing sites
owned the road and the Quebec government was not interested
in having "foreigners" documenting the conditions there.

So, Ed, that is the extent of my (non)involvement with
people who might be called Eskimos by some - the same
sort who used to say of other races, "They all look alike."
Bon Apetite, Ed...

/Robert Skinner