[Rhodes22-list] Luis please help Mark

Todd Zumach zoomerzx at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 17:54:59 EST 2006

I figure I might as well throw in my two bits worth:

First, I have two anchors.  Both danforth style on chain and nylon rode.
They are kept in the cockpit on the starboard side in a standard clear
storage tub with a lid.  I chose the starboard side for the anchors and the
gas tank because it helps to counter balance the weight of the
9.9hpYamaha.  Maybe I am trying too hard, but I figure it can't hurt.
The larger
anchor was too wide for the tub so I cut a 3/4" hole in one side and a 3/4"
slot in the other that line up with the shaft on the fluke.  I like the
cover because it keeps leaves and other debris out of the tub.  I drilled
several (6?) 3/8" holes in the bottom of the tub for drainage.  I also got
some thin foam anti-slip mat material on a roll from Sam's Club.  I cut a
piece just a little smaller than the tub.  This perforated material keeps
the tub off the cockpit floor and keeps the tub from sliding around when
heeled over.  I use the same material under the other (totally enclosed)
plastic boxes that I store extra lines in.  I first started with 5 quart ice
cream buckets, but I have now switched to the boxes because it looks nicer.

Second, as another "newbie" Rhodes sailor, I can also state that I have been
put off by the brusque manner  of some of the more learned members. I guess,
at 44, I am still a young pup and I have to learn to take my licks when I
try to play with the big dogs. I actually tried the whole line (of
questions) about accessing the archived files and did the same searching for
answers as Mark and got nowhere.  It is very frustrating!  I have resorted
searching other sources on the Internet and am pouring over my new copies of
Chapman's guide and Annapolis Book of Seamanship that I got from Santa
Claus.

I too have wondered about how and who has created and may still maintain the
FAQ's.  A previous post a couple of months ago the subject of how to go
about administering the FAQ's was brought up.  I have not seen anything
since, but I will restate my interest in helping to pull the information
together for the benefit of all.  I spend most my day sitting in front of a
computer, and can spend most of my night in front of one too (just don't
tell my wife the Admiral).

Todd Zumach
Phillips, WI
S/V TBD (still can't get a consensus from the females in the family about a
new name)