[Rhodes22-list] Transom mount transducers

Jim White lemenagerie22 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 23 14:24:17 EST 2006

I marine-tex'd a transducer from a little, common hummingbird fish finder (don't know the model right off hand) in the laz. Most of the external x-ducer units can be mounted this way. The disadvantage is of course, by the time it reads <3' ( the limit of most depth finder accuracy), you could be in fact, much shallower....

  As was mentioned, it is best to do your homework and know the charted depths of the area you are sailing. No depth sounder and no xducer mounting location will keep you out of trouble should you suddenly encounter a charted shoal or other underwater obstruction that you weren't previously aware was there....

  Depth sounders do however work quite well for general depth monitoring, verification, trends etc. It's a fun toy, but not one I rely on.
  jw

thescubatank at cox.net wrote:
  Both Boaters world and West Marine have a Depth sounder that the transducer is epoxied inside the hull. The run appoximately $130.00. This is my next purchase to replace my old depth sounder. I plan on placing the transducer centerline towards the bow (aft of the V berth).

Steve
S/V Ad Astra
Chesapeake, Va.

> From: Lou Rosenberg
> Date: 2006/01/23 Mon PM 04:05:33 EST
> To: The Rhodes 22 mail list
> Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Transom mount transducers
>

> Rhodies, I had a dream I heard this announcement at Lowes the other day..
>
> >"Rhodes22 technical assistance needed in the Sailboat isle.."
>
> but seriously,
> I am about to order my depth gauge and wanted to know what other
> folks are using for transducers if you have electronic depth gauges..
> The Rope and with Rock attached never really appealed to me.
>
> Through Hull ( 2.25" hole required)
> vs
> Transom mount ( at most a 1/4 hole through the transom & mounting fasteners.
>
> anyone?
> thanks
> Lou

Jim White