[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Technique Question

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Mon Jul 10 17:44:17 EDT 2006

The boats I own don't have furlers, and but two other boats I've sailed do. I haven't had to re-run the sheets after furling the jib, but here's what I would do were it necessary.

Well before my tack, I'd engage the autopiolot (or tie down the tiller), and re-run the lazy sheet.
Shortly before tacking, I'd furl the jib to what I plan on sailing (keep in mind, because the sheets are run wrong, it won't sail very well like this).

Tack. You'd now have the jib set properly, and the sheets run properly on the looward (working) side. The new lazy sheet is now run "wrong". Correct it before you tack again.

Simple. No muss, no full, and very little real "planning ahead".

As I said, I've never had to rerun my jib sheets, but I HAVE, on a number of occasions, needed to reposition my block for the sheets. Same theory. I never try to reposition the one on the working side. Reposition the lazy side, tack, then reposition the new lazy side.

>>> DCLewis1 at aol.com 7/10/2006 12:52:37 pm >>>

Herb,

Thanks, makes sense to me.  This thread has been very helpful, I had a
completely different (and wrong) idea of what Stan and others were talking about
when I initially posted.  I really appreciate the info.

One of the remaining glitches I see, though, is that I typically tack from
one heading to another, where the "another" heading is generally where I want
to  go or feel I have to go because of wind, obstacles, or navigation.  I know
 the second heading when I get to it rather than plan for a 60 degree (for
example) tack.  If I'm deciding to re-sheet via the mast/inners, or within  the
inner/outer shrouds,  I'm explicitly constraining my heading when I  come out
of the tack - which is a long winded way of saying I feel my way  through a
tack now, but with re-sheeting I'm going to have to plan ahead.   That's going
to be a challenge - maybe that's where experience kicks in.

Dave