[Rhodes22-list] Gas Tanks, Vents, and Carburetors

mputnam1 at aol.com mputnam1 at aol.com
Mon May 1 15:32:03 EDT 2006

Ok, being uneducated in the world of outboard engines and gasoline tanks  (among other things), after reading Rummy's email below, I have to ask: what is the protocol on a gas tank's air vent?  When should it be left open?  When should it be closed?  Should it only be open while operating the engine?  And what about detaching the fuel line and burning the gas that's in the carburetor as Robert discussed?  How long should it take to burn off and when/how often is this advised?  Just when winterizing?  I tried it recently and after the engine continued to run for a few minutes (Elton suggested I do this if I wouldn't be running the engine for two weeks or more), I stopped the process because I had no idea how long it would take to shut down and I needed to head home ...

Thanks in advance for any advice,

- Mark Putnam